Tuesday, March 29, 2005

My life in splints

Well, this blog is taking a turn away from patio decoration. Yesterday I was told I had (among other things) carpal tunnel syndrome. So I went to my local CVS and purchased wrist splints, which I am supposed to wear 24/7 for 6 weeks. I don't know that anyone really recovers from CTS, I think the docs just try to get the pain and hand use manageable. Alas, years of data entry have taken their toll, but that's another posting. Therefore, my newest obsession is finding out which things are harder with wrist splints and which are easier. Here's the list so far:

-Wiping after bathroom use - definitely harder.
-Petting cats - less enjoyable, since I don't feel the plush fur against my palm.
-Holding babies up for feeding - much easier! The metal bar in the wrist brace is enormously useful for holding up these enormous babies! However, for burping I can only use my fingertips.
-Driving stick shift - not much change. Pretty easy, like before.
-Possiblities for self-defense - much better. Splints hold the wrist straight for punching. Metal bar can be used to side-swipe opponent's head. Metal bar extends into palm for an even more deadly palm strike (as a martial artist, I think of these things).
-Typing (and hence, writing on this blog) - harder. Previously I could type with my eyes closed, in the dark, etc. I could even reach, by touch, that elusive nub where my cat broke away the "-" key on this laptop. Of course, it doesn't help that I usually type in the recumbent position.
-Eating - harder. Wrist splints could be the next big diet fad. Relieve CTS and lose weight at the same time! Brilliant! (Hat off to Guinness beer)
-Sleeping - first night with them on, I was so tired it was a non-issue.
-Folding laundry - somewhat harder.
-Washing dishes - my hands fit inside the glove without them. Mostly a good excuse to get someone else to do dishes!

This is only Day 2 of 42 days in wrist splints. I'll see how it goes.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, April 17, 2005, Blogger Eunice said...

I am laughing out loud reading this post. My best friend suffered from CTS in high school, after years of playing piano, and she always used to complain of how difficult it was to do so many of the things she used to enjoy with the braces on. Ironically enough, she managed to figure out piano while wearing them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home