Monday, July 11, 2005

"Aww, you got LONG way to go.!"

I used to go through a Korean drive-thru for beer, cigarettes (yes, I used to smoke, no comments please), and snacks. Beverage drive-thrus are very popular in Florida and are usually festooned with such names as "Beverage Castle" and "Beverage Barn". The ones calling themselves "Castle" even have faux castle-like edging on the top. To patronize, you pull into the open-ended garage-type building. On either side of your car are grocery store-type refrigerators full of beer, wine, soda, etc. There are also racks of chips and other snacks, cigarettes, and a few other items (cheap gifts, t-shirts, etc.) They bring your choices to your car, you pay from your car window, get change brought to your car (if needed) and drive out the other end. Very useful, however, more expensive than actually getting your fat butt OUT of the car to go into a grocery store.

This particular drive-thru was owned by Koreans. The man who worked there spoke very broken English and his wife did most of the customer service, probably because her English was better. Anyhoo, at some point he realized I took the Korean martial art Hapkido (probably because my belt was on the passenger seat one time when I came through). Although I was a brown belt (just below red and the ever-coveted black), he said "Aww, you got LONG way to go!" When I got to red belt he still said the same thing. Then I stopped going through there (cut down on drinking and smoking - good for me, but bad for his business). And got my black belt.

Still, I often think of him saying "Aww, you got LONG way to go!" in his stereotypical Asian-speaking-broken-English accent. I think if I went back today and showed him my second-degree belt he would still say: "Aww, you got LONG way to go!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home