Friday, July 22, 2005

Goodbye, Nanny A.

Next week at this time, we will bid goodbye to Nanny A., who will return to her native Peru. We will miss her greatly. Nanny A. came to us via a flyer we posted at ethnic markets seeking a nanny for our then-3 month old twins. She has been with us since the beginning of March. Admittedly, her ethnic background already tipped the scales in her favor. My step-brother had a Peruvian girlfriend who was hardworking, sociable, and as at home with us gringos as her fellow Hispanics. Having first been befriended by a Cuban co-worker when I initially arrived in FL., I have always thought highly of Hispanics in general, even the much-maligned Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

Nanny A. spends about half a year in Peru and half in the U.S. Her husband and youngest son still live in Peru. Although her son hopes to come to the U.S. someday, her husband does not like the U.S. and refuses to leave Peru. Nanny A.’s older daughter and son and their families live here Somewhere in FL. Her sister, N., and her daughters and one of the daughter’s families also live here. We feel as if we’ve become friends with the whole family. N. first brought Nanny A. to our house to meet us (since, although Nanny A. drives in Peru, she has a strict policy against driving in FL. If you’ve ever driven the streets here, you know her policy is not without reason). N. is very outgoing and made us all feel at ease with each other. N.’s granddaughter is 3 days older than the Branch and the Blossom. However, the granddaughter is much larger than our Blossom, and N. has passed down many of this baby’s clothes, to be used by our Blossom.

The first few months of being a parent were very difficult for me. It is a role I never pictured myself in. If not for my utter love for X., I probably would not be a parent by my own choice. I had little confidence in myself as a successful parent, due to a somewhat dysfunctional childhood, financial insecurity, and (prior to my marriage) lack of suitable mate. Not to mention the work involved. However, Nanny A. (with her experience as a parent and grandparent) was always quietly supportive and never, ever critical of my ways. We often acted in an unspoken but understood tandem with her backing up my next move before I even made it. She would set up the Blossom’s bath, and after I diapered and dressed the Blossom, she would have the Branch’s bath ready, new diaper, and pajamas all laid out, just as I liked them (on a blanket, on the living room floor in front of the TV). If I mentioned the babies were getting hungry, the food was already set out and the bottles warmed. Her patience never, ever wore thin; even with the Blossom’s incessant crying, not to mention my occasional breakdowns.

We plan to keep in touch with phone calls and letters. I hope that when Nanny A. returns for her next 6 months in FL, she will consider babysitting for us occasionally. In the meantime, we plan to keep in touch with N., whose daughter is expecting another child in February. I feel fortunate that the Branch and Blossom had such a caring person to assist their somewhat dysfunctional mother so early in their lives. Nanny A., we will miss you.

3 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, July 23, 2005, Blogger R. Edmondson said...

Twins and a wonderful nanny who became a good friend - You are blessed! Keep that friendship intact. I also have twins of my own - a boy and a girl.

 
At 10:39 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger Jess said...

Im sure youll miss her, its hard to find someone who is trustworthy to care for kids I know =)

 
At 6:11 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

have you ever thought of visiting her in peru?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home