Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Branch and Blossom's Names

A couple of people commented on Branch and Blossom's names on the 12/17 post about their birthday. My mom's boss also made a comment, only half-joking, that she would be JUST the person to have grandchildren named Branch and Blossom. Branch and Blossom are not their real names, although they ARE two of the many nicknames we use. Branch's whole name is Pine Branch. The pine tree is a symbol of loyalty in Chinese culture. Also, he is a new branch of my husband's family tree. Last year I got a Christmas card for my husband and it had a picture of a pine bough on the front, which is where I got the idea for Pine Branch. And the Blossom's whole name is Plum Blossom. I believe almost every culture equates the beauty of a girl or young woman to a flower. That's fairly universal.

I take credit, I dubbed them Pine Branch and Plum Blossom soon after their birth. They also have Spanish nicknames, Gordito (little fat guy) and Llorona (she who cries). We tried to eliminate "Gordito" when Nanny A. left, but Nanny G. continued the tradition and called the Blossom "Llorona" as well. They are also Sir and Missy, and the Customers. Like the cats, they have many nicknames.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, December 20, 2005, Blogger Spider Walk said...

How adorable! At least you will have a really cool story to tell them about how they got their nick names. My kids nick names are Ace and Moogs. Ace just kind of happened because her initials are A.C. My husband started to call her that as an infant when talking about her to his family. Now all of her friends, and teacher call her Ace. Moogs was/is my pet name for my 9 year old son. To be honest, I am not sure how I came up with it..lol. It just "fits" him ya know? He's my little Moogie.. :)

Great post, and thanks for sharing. I was tempted to ask Branch and Blossom were their real names. Now I don't have too.
Their nick names sound like a really neato book title... :)

"The adventures of Branch and Blossom"

Too cute :)

 
At 1:14 AM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Lin said...

Branch and Blossom have always sounded like quite perfect names... nick or otherwise! And I like the idea of "The Adventures of Branch and Blossom."

 
At 10:26 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger Zube said...

So cool. I'm sure that with all of the nicknames Zube Boy and I have for each other, when we have kids there will be all kinds of nicknames.

 
At 8:05 AM, December 23, 2005, Blogger StringMan said...

What great names. I particularly like the Pine and Plum parts of their names - like hidden surprises for future friends who will know them as Branch and Blossum. I have a friend named Josh - known him for years - and just found out his 'first' name is really Albert, and Josh is his middle. I was impressed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home