Monday, December 11, 2006

No More Loose Nuts


Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "Oh!" you're thinking, "you've got PLENTY of loose nuts over there at "Herding Cats"." Very funny...

When I was a child, each year between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my grandmother put a tabletop basket of walnuts out for nibbling just anytime. The basket was replenished throughout the holidays. I continue that tradition in memory of my grandmother and all the wonderful Christmas's I had with her. This year, I noticed that loose nuts are no longer sold in the grocery stores. Previously, the stores put out boxes of assorted (and loose) nuts - walnuts, Brazil nuts, pecans, almonds, and hazelnuts that shoppers could scoop themselves into the ubiquitous flimsy plastic produce bags.

I asked the Citizen to pick up a bag of walnuts at Wal-Mart and he came home with the sorriest bag of walnuts I had ever seen. I bet they were last year's walnuts. I'll continue the search for the perfect nuts. Sadly, I won't find them loose. They'll be bagged but if in doubt I will OPEN the bag and check. No more bad, or loose, nuts for me!

4 Comments:

At 2:20 AM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

my grandparents use to have nuts sitting in bowls around the house. My brother and I would take them outside and try to smash them open with rocks (we saw it on the Flintstones or MacGyver)

 
At 3:32 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

My Mom used to do this as well. Our Wall-World is still selling them. They had them out at Thanksgiving.

 
At 9:36 AM, December 19, 2006, Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

my family used to do this too. i've noticed the lack of quality nuts in the stores. maybe it has just fallen out of fashion...

 
At 2:38 AM, December 20, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

I heard walnut is good brain food..:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home