Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Driving Stickshift

Citizen X. has a car and I have a car. I have a choice of 2 cars to drive, but the Citizen is limited to his car because my car is stickshift.

I learned to drive on a "3 on the tree" car called the GMC Sprint, which was like a generic El Camino. The transmission has 3 gears plus reverse and the gearshift is located on the steering column like a large automatic transmission vehicle. I then learned to drive "4 on the floor" which is the typical stickshift configuration seen today. When I moved to FL from southeastern PA, I was surprised to learn how many people cannot drive stickshift.

Many cars overseas are stickshift. However, the Citizen was taught to drive by his landlord in Athens, GA. Citizen X. attended University ofGeorgia as a graduate student. The landlord said if the Citizen bought a car, he would teach Citizen X. how to drive it.

So, my completely unofficial and unscientific poll strives to find out how many readers of this post can drive stickshift. Please post a comment. If you can drive a manual tranny motorcycle, put that in too. Bonus points!

2 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Zube said...

I, admittedly, cannot drive stick on a highway. Offroading I can do it, but those cars operate a little differently.

 
At 11:45 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger EclectEcon said...

I've driven an automatic for years, but now and then drive a stick -- that's what I learned on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home