Monday, November 14, 2005

Asian youth persistently harassed by peers

This
story is certainly disconcerting to me as a parent of half-Asian children. I've often thought of how an African-American woman's heart must break when her child comes home from school and says "Mommy, what's a nigger? Someone at school called me that today."

My answer is already prepared. If the Branch or Blossom say: "Mommy, what's a Chink? Someone at school called me a Chink today." I will say "It's what stupid people call
a Chinese person. People who haven't taken the time to get to know you or the wonderful history and culture of the Chinese people. Don't mind them, they aren't worth your time."

Regarding the article, bullying has always existed in schools, and due to human nature, always will. Politically correct attempts at schools instituting a no-bullying policy will ultimately fail because it doesn't take human nature into account. The "turn the other cheek" policy just doesn't fly with me either. It works for small, infrequent slights, but not persistant harrassment that makes a child's life miserable. Take it from a formerly bullied person. Parents and teachers turn a deaf ear, plus the bullied child is further bullied for reporting to teachers or principals. Talking to the parents is likely to disappoint for reasons of firstly, setting up your child for more ridicule for going to the bully's parents; and secondly, the bully's parents most likely did not teach their child compassion or consideration for others. Sometimes the only correct response is for the bullied person to stand up and fight for himself. In other words, a good old playground fight or ass-kicking may be the only resolution to the situation. Some people just don't learn any other way.

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Lin said...

When our son was three years old and in pre-school, he asked me why this boy in his class kept pushing his (my son's) fingers back til they hurt. I almost wept when he said that. I told my husband and he went out and bought little blue boxing gloves for Colin (our boy) and taught him how to fight...well, he was only three, so not really fighting, but I guess just trying to toughen him up. While you never want your child to be a bully, you sure don't want them to be victims... ever.

As far as cranberry jelly... well, I must confess we have both on the table at Thanksgiving, but this stuff made with the horseradish is fantastic. Promise. And pancetta is Italian bacon. Pronounced Panchetta. You know how everything's better with bacon!

 
At 7:02 AM, November 15, 2005, Blogger kazumi said...

Although Sydney is quite multicultural now, it wasn't when I was a child and I was teased during school. As you know, like Branch and Blossom I'm half Asian too and the feeling I recall the most is one of not fitting in as I sat on the borderlines. The names I could handle, but the silent and uncomfortable sense of not belonging was definitely harder.

As an 8th dan martial artist, Dad taught us the basics of self defence (and a few extra tricks), but the strong sense of self, values and belonging they instilled was invaluable. Even at a young age I knew that people could bully me but it was my choice whether they could take my power and make me feel inferior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home