Saturday, November 12, 2005

Proud of my Dad and Stepmother


I am so proud of my dad and stepmother (pictured above with the Blossom and Branch this past Easter). Although my father never served in combat, he supports our troops. My father was drafted after college but served in clerical positions in Newfoundland, Canada, and Kentucky. For Veteran's Day, my dad and step-mother joined a commemorative walk at the VFW post in Womelsdorf, PA and walked more than six miles to Wernersville PA without a break. My dad quipped that he was WALKING, despite the fact that he owns 8 cars and a motorcycle! They were joined by their friend Ruth, who is several years their senior. Ruth also walked the entire trip. My dad and step-mom are in their mid 70's. They show excellent resolve of spirit which I hope I can retain when I am that age.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, November 13, 2005, Blogger Lin said...

Your Dad and Stepmom have very strong memories of WWII and I'm sure they lost many friends and life was never quite the same thereafter. So many people have been so very deeply affected by combat. Good for them and for their resolve and their strength.

 
At 9:11 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Crystal said...

Great to support the troops, but I think without an across-the-board draft it's impossible for most Americans to appreciate what WAR entails. The military recruits disadvantaged inner city youths and the rural poor, and they do a great job protecting this country but I find it sad that we send these kids into harms way like it's nothing. The elites who make the policy would never dream of sacrificing the lives of their children for this country. There is so much hypocrisy and it makes me sick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home