Friday, December 22, 2006

A Christmas Memory




Prior to meeting the Citizen, Big K and I often made the drive from Florida to Pennsylvania for Christmas.

In Pennsylvnia, my mother was working as a receptionist at a facility for developmentally disabled and emotionally challenged individuals. The facility provided outpatient treatment, in-house workshops, transportation, case management, counseling, and residential services. I used to meet her there for lunch. As receptionist, she could not leave her post until the relief girl arrived. As I waited patiently in the lobby one day, I observed people come and go. Employees, clients (as they're called, not patients), employees of affiliated agencies, and others came and went. In between assisting those that needed to be assisted, my mother answered the phone for this facility, which had not yet discovered the joys of voicemail. Meanwhile, an average and unassuming-looking man came into the lobby. He waited patiently until my mother had time to help him.

M: "May I help you, sir?"

Man: "Yes, I just wanted to leave this here." (hands her a check for $100.00).

M: "Oh, can you wait a moment so I can get you a receipt? What is it for?"

Man: "Nothing in particular. You all do such good work here. Merry Christmas."

And he turned around and left without another word.

5 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, December 23, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

Aww, makes you feel like the goodness and kindness in our society isn't disappearing.

 
At 5:36 AM, December 24, 2006, Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours. Looking forward to reading all about your Christmas in the New Year!

HMHB

 
At 9:46 AM, December 27, 2006, Blogger Wendy said...

That's really sweet.

 
At 7:33 AM, December 31, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

Have a great year ahead...my crystal ball tells me...u and your family have a a great time...including the gorgeous kids!

 
At 2:14 AM, February 04, 2020, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog. Christmas is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. Here I observed the experience of a person how she celebrates the festival with their faculty. I like this blog. Thanks for sharing. Along with this article, I would like to share about the hamster pets which were established as popular small house pets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home