Thursday, June 16, 2005

Hurricane Prep, cont'd

After 4 hurricanes last year, I got quite skilled at hurricane prep. Here's a couple of things I do in advance: clean the house (if my house gets destroyed at least it was clean, dammit!) and do laundry. Actually, I clean and do laundry in case water is not available after the hurricane. Fill both cars and the propane tank for the grill. Grocery shop (see below). Make rice (see below). Drag patio furniture into house or garage. Fill plastic jugs with water. Charge deep cycle (see post below).

The hurricane grocery list is: bread, bagels, chips, pretzels, water, crackers, tuna, cat food, hot dogs (easy to grill and, vaguely, a meat protein source), hot dog buns and condiments, canned applesauce, canned juice, jelly, BEER, wine and toilet paper. This year I will have to add baby food, diapers, and formula.

Last year as one of the hurricanes was forecast to come our way, I made extra rice. The next day when it struck, our dinner consisted of garage-grilled pork chops and fried rice. I made the fried rice the Girl Scout way - in a skillet on top of the grill grate, by the light of a flashlight (which I held in my mouth while cooking). Making fried rice also allowed me to use up several fresh vegetables and eggs. We enjoyed our tasty, hot dinner while watching hurricane updates on TV, powered by our inverter. I bet none of the neighbors had such a tasty hurricane dinner.

So stock up and make extra rice. Go ahead. You'll be the envy of all your neighbors. And if you have any other inventive hurricane tips, feel free to post a comment.

1 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, June 22, 2005, Blogger SuperKate said...

Add vodka to your list and it sounds like a party!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home