Wednesday, November 23, 2005

No Thanksgiving for Low-Wage Workers? No Thanks.

Sadly, this most American of holidays won't be celebrated by everyone who could possibly celebrate it. Yes, there are those who've always worked to keep us going even on holidays - nurses, doctors, EMT's, people at water and power companies who keep your oven and TV on, police, firefighters, etc.

Each year, it seems like more retailers are open Thanksgiving, forcing low-wage employees to work on what was once considered a nearly sacred holiday. However, management teams would not make decisions to open their stores if they knew the stores would be devoid of customers. Apparently many people find shopping more satisfying than spending time over a large meal with family and friends. Even golf ranges are open, according to one of my classmates who works at a golfing range.

I plan to do my part by not patronizing any business tomorrow. If I have forgotten some small item, I will make do without it. Today I put gas in the car and bought extra formula and babyfood, so the important items are taken care of. Maybe it's just that people can't plan ahead or get organized any more. Come on, people. Thanksgiving comes the 3rd Thursday of the month, every year. Get ready for it. Shop ahead of time. Stay at home. Enjoy your families or friends. Relax. Read a book. Go out and ride your bike. Let others enjoy it also.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, November 25, 2005, Blogger Crystal said...

I felt SO guilty for doing my grocery shopping yesterday, on Thanksgiving Day. We went after the Parade and surprisingly a lot of people were shopping so I guess that's why all the stores stay open. My younger sister works in retail, and she had to work on Thanksgiving Day too. I think Christmas Day is the only sure bet for a store being closed, and you're right that that makes it really bad for the retail workers.

 
At 10:52 AM, November 26, 2005, Blogger Zube said...

You know, I'd never thought of it that way. Hmmm...That's insightful.

I know I've worked on Thanksgiving, and it's not fun. But we don't really have a choice at the hotel, and people are generally a little nicer to you because you're working on a holiday.

Zube Boy has worked EVERY Thanksgiving we've been together (five years) except for this year. It was nice to have him at home helping me prepare dinner. Though, unlike most people we have dinner at 6:30 because all of our friends work in service jobs for the ski resort, and 1/2 have to work. We're just kind of used to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home