Thursday, January 12, 2006

Backstage with the Band

Bands are famous for their demands outlined in contract riders. The Smoking Gun has compiled a list of interesting contract riders for an array of musicians and bands. Check out Bob Dylan's insistance on incandescent (light bulbs) lighting. Ya, that fluorescent light really shows one's age. Not that Dylan was the best-looking guy to begin with. If you were a famous (insert favorite music genre here) star, what would your contract rider include?

While you're there, don't forget to check out mug shots from famous arrests. In addition to a vast celebrity line-up, mug shots of "classic" criminals such as Jeffrey Dahmer are on file as well.

5 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, January 12, 2006, Blogger StringMan said...

My favorite was the old Van Halen one - where they demanded a bowl of M&Ms with the brown candies removed. Violation would mean that Van Halen could cancel the show but still be paid. Apparently, they felt promoters weren't reading the detail in the riders, so they put that in there. I heard that they threatened one promoter when they got a bowl with the brown ones still in it.

 
At 7:08 AM, January 13, 2006, Blogger Kim said...

The mugshots are classic. My friend directed me there the other day. I suspect that Robert D. Jr. isn't through adding to the collection. *Sigh*

 
At 11:34 AM, January 13, 2006, Blogger Lin said...

That mug shot link is completely time consuming! Can't stop clicking!

When J. Dahmer was arrested in Milwaukee in the early 90s, my husband and I were in England on holiday. Each morning he would wander down to the newsagents to pick up a paper and then one morning the newsagent said to him, "Say, didn't you say you lived in Milwaukee?" My husband looked at him straight on and said, "No, Chicago." We'd heard about the Dahmer thing on the news the night before and he just didn't want to go there.

 
At 7:01 AM, January 14, 2006, Blogger DDW said...

Is Bill Gates in there? He has a geeky mug shot somewhere.

 
At 9:53 AM, January 14, 2006, Blogger junebee said...

Stringman: The Van Halen story is legendary but I thought it was an illustration of spoiled rock star demands. Making people check for details is much more devious!

Lagato: I had to pick on Dylan because I knew it would get a rise out of you!

Witch City Sox Girl: There are will probably be alot of repeat offenders among the Hollywood types.

Lin: Ooh, sorry, I already steered you to a time-waster at Recipe*zaar. You must hate me...hee hee..

Don Wood: Really? Bill Gates? What was his crime - making too much money? I know alot of people think that IS a crime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home