Monday, June 26, 2006

Reach out and touch someone


Creek at Edwards Park, Toronto, Canada.


I'll post some of the better pictures of Canada occasionally.

**

I don't seem to mesh well with the moms in my neighborhood. I'm sure some of it has to do with my own self-consciousness, since I am somewhat (ok, quite a bit) older than most of them. It will be something I need to get over, since my kids' friends will more than likely be kids from this subdivision. I suppose getting along with your kids' friends' parents is sort of like getting along with co-workers or your in-laws. You just have to do it, even though you have little in common with them. I do know some moms who just happen to have kids around my age. One is a woman I've been attending martial arts with for almost 9 years. Another is Nanny A.'s niece. But there's an added angle with those two - something I have in common with them aside from strictly that our kids are similar in age. I feel comfortable with these two women and their families.

A couple of months ago, I saw a mom I know from another activity we used to attend last year. She was at the park with her son, who is 6 months older than Branch and Blossom. I chatted with her but after we left the park, I silently kicked myself for not inviting her and her son over to play. As other parents chatted at the park, she stood alone with her son. I really don't like to think she was standing alone because she is black, but perhaps it was. I've always had my nanny to chat with so I haven't had to knock around the playground myself with my kids. Because then I probably wouldn't be chatting with anyone either!

Today it rained most of the day, so Nanny A. and I took Branch and Blossom to the local mall. We spent five dollars on carousel rides for the kids. Then we went to the small indoor playground, which is free and in the public area. I saw the above referenced mom, who I shall call M., again. As before, she was sitting by herself as her son explored the play area. M. and I greeted each other and it was then and there I gave her my phone number and invited her to bring her son swimming at our community pool with Branch and Blossom. She also gave me her number so I will invite her to some of the activities Branch and Blossom attend. It felt good to make that connection and maybe make new friends as well. Now if I could only do that at home!

6 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, June 26, 2006, Blogger Lin said...

Good for you. Even if it ultimately turns out that you have little in common, you have extended the hand of welcome and I'm sure that she's still smiling about that.

 
At 10:12 PM, June 26, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

we never know...there are many lonely people out there...waiting for the connection...

 
At 7:09 AM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

that was nice of you. i'm the alone mom myself. though my neighborhood is a little rough. so i prefer it that way.

 
At 5:25 PM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

I'm shy in public and keep to myself. Maybe that was her reason for being alone, too. What a wonderful thig you've done by extending the hand of friendship.

 
At 12:33 AM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

Yea, I think that is one of those situations you just have to suck it up and be friends anyway. Don't worry it's only 18 years :D

 
At 1:27 AM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Spider Walk said...

I remember those awkward days Junebee. It takes a little practice and before you know it you will have playmates and playdates and a good round of gal pals to hang out with.

Once they start school it is much easier because you will see the parents at the school functions and such.

Good for you for initating the first contact with the gal at the playground and mall. Now...CALL HER!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home