Wednesday, June 28, 2006

One More Time!

The latest news in the so-called "Mommy Wars" comes in the form of a book which insists that women have a social obligation to continue working. Linda Hirshman, author of the book "Get to Work: A Manifesto for Women of the World", reviewed here on Slate stipulates that we have a duty, nay, a social obligation to work after our children are born in order to further the cause of all women in the workplace.

Although this idea may fly in an Asian country, where societal good supercedes indvidual preference, it smacks of Communism in good ol' individualistic America. In my recent post An Educated Woman, I take issue with those who state that a woman who chooses to stay at home has wasted her college education. I again take issue with Ms. Hirshman's idea.

I read the blogs of several working mothers such as Kazumi (who recently launched her own business), Wendy, and Mama Nabi. I also read the blogs of other stay-at-home mothers such as GroovyVic, Brandy, and Black Belt Mama. I'd be interested to hear what any of them had to say on this issue.

7 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Blackbeltmama said...

I think that woman should mind her own damn business. It's a personal choice, and I could care less what she thinks about my choice. I have a M.S.Ed. and a B.A. and I don't feel like I've wasted my time or money because I choose to stay at home. I do work from home part time on my terms (i.e. next to never). I feel that for me and my family, the best thing for them is that I'm at home with them.

 
At 7:17 AM, June 29, 2006, Blogger Spider Walk said...

I think every woman should do what feels right and works her children and family. NOTHING is wasted by being a stay at home mom. NOTHING! Motherhood is the most important job in the world in my opinion.

P.S.

I am posting from my new blog addy :)

 
At 3:53 PM, June 29, 2006, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

From a man's perspective, I agree that mothers should do whatever they think is best for themselves and their children. My mother was mostly a stay at home Mom, which was wonderful for her kids. And she and my Dad are still married 50+ years later. She did work outside the home, too, but very sporadically (also finished her college degree and took grad. courses later). It worked for her, certainly -- and the kids loved it! She provided a complete education for us, too (reading, talking, doing), in addition to our regular schools. Cheers, Erik

 
At 12:01 AM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

This upsets me. As a stay-at-home Mom it is mine and my DH's choice on whether I stayed home. Yes, we make a few financial sacrifices for it, but I don't understand a woman who is deciding that all women MUST work. Why? To be a giving member of society? I thought I already was by giving my children the attention she will never give hers. In the distant future my kids will have memories of our time together. Hers? Will have none. Also, I thought womens liberation was to give women a CHOICE, and to protect them from any form of bigotry. Sounds like she is one anyay.

 
At 10:05 AM, July 01, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

it's a viable choice...in any case..a full time housewife is a thankless job...i propose an international Housewife's Day...

 
At 3:00 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger Wendy said...

Back in town and YES I read that, too. Yikes. I think it's absurd to say a woman's education is wasted by staying home. But more than that, I take serious issue with her stance that those who stay home are ruining it for future generations. That just plain pisses me off. First of all, choice is just that, choice. That's what we all fought for, right? Second, women coming into the workforce have plenty of opportunity...if they want to take it. How dare she take away our right to choose. This or anything.

Okay, breathe.

 
At 12:24 AM, July 04, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

Education is never wasted. Sounds like a pretty uneducated idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home