Sunday, July 23, 2006

You’ve Got A lot of ‘splainin’ To Do, Missy.

First of all, thanks to all of you who inquired during my absence – Black Feline, Spiderwalk and others. I’ve just now got caught up reading all your blogs.

**

July’s been a tough month for me. It began way before the calendar date of July 1. Fireworks, unfortunately, are legal in our county. Our farce of a law states that if the buyer signs a paper stating the fireworks are used to scare birds away from crops, the purchase is legal. My lovely, considerate neighbors in this area began their annual celebration at the end of June and it ran well past the traditional July 4th date. Now, I love my country as well as the next person. I am so grateful for what we have in this country – freedom, education, and prosperity, but I see no reason to celebrate those principals with loud, bright fireworks that litter yards and streets with their debris. I only wish my neighbors would consider others – others who need sleep such as small children, parents, those who work two jobs or long shifts; and others who desperately need their rest. On July 5th, I vowed allegiance whatever political party would attempt to outlaw fireworks, even the Communists! And yes, if fireworks are outlawed, only outlaws will have fireworks. However, if fireworks were outlawed, they would be more expensive and difficult to get, which I think would thwart at least some people.

**
Nanny A.’s sister was in the hospital, then Nanny A. herself. Fortunately both are well now and both Nanny A. and her sister are enjoying getting back to work in better health.
Understandably, we missed several of our bi-weekly outings at Nanny A,’s niece’s house. I’m not sure I’d want company with small children if my mother was in the hospital either. However that left me with lots of time to fill for Branch and Blossom.

**

I have come to the conclusion that I am not happy being a stay-at-home parent. I tried it for 19 months and I just don’t like it. As a housewife (I’ll use the old-fashioned term here, because that’s what it is – married to a family, house and all the accompanying drudgery). I have always felt invisible. Nobody really gives a shit about the endless litany of diapers, laundry, cooking, and screaming kids. I am totally sick of it. It just is not rewarding. I don’t care how you slice it. If I work, I realize these chores will still be there, but sending the kids to daycare will outsource some of it, along with giving the kids something to do all day, and hopefully, tiring them by bedtime. I simply do not know how to fill their 12-hour days. Give a total of an hour and a half for meals, and 30 minutes for bath, and that leaves 10 hours of unoccupied children. I hate myself every single time I turn the TV on for them, but there seems little else to do with these kids. They do not touch their toys. Other than an hour outing at the pool (Blossom is ready to go after 20 minutes), it’s impossible to do anything outdoors due to the voracious mosquitos here. Any suggestions on how to occupy toddlers all day will be more than welcome.

The Citizen wisely suggested I begin with a part-time job. It makes sense, why replace the unhappiness of being stuck at home with the stress of getting kids up early, ready for day care, running to work, and doing the reverse in the evening? To that end, I applied for a job at the clubhouse here. My commute would be a 5-minute walk down the street.

**

Speaking of the Citizen, fun together is part of ancient history. The most we’ve done this year is to dash out for a late dinner on a weeknight. Then we shovel down our dinner as quickly as possible to get home because I’m so tired I just want to lay dpwn. Our trip to Canada garnered very little free time for ourselves – 30 minutes at the most to play tennis on a couple of days. I miss the things we used to do together. I miss our shared laughs and the fun we used to have. I suppose never again will we have that time.

**

My sleep study scheduled for July 5th was rescheduled to July 19. I reported for duty Wednesday night at the appointed time of 10 PM. I am usually in bed by that time, and also had risen at 4 AM that day to take people to the airport, so I was incredibly tired. I wasn’t processed and all stuck with electrodes until after 11 PM. I nearly fell asleep in the chair as the technician stuck electrodes to my head! Electrodes are stuck just outside the eyes, near the joint of the jaw, on the throat, and on the top of the head. Respectively, they monitor REM, teeth grinding and jaw tension, snoring, and brain activity. Yes, ha ha on that last one! There are also electrodes on the leg to monitor restless leg syndrome. Additionally, they place a small plastic bar above my lip which has toothpick-type prongs to measure inhalation and exhalation of breath. I was so exhausted I could even sleep with that thing on. A slight change in position caused the sensor to poke my nose.

**

The last couple of classes at martial arts, I was assigned to work with J., a newly minted orange belt. She's the only woman that's begun classes in the past 3 or 4 years and stayed with it. More than once I've mentioned to her that I'm glad she's stayed, since our class is usually 15 big, burly men, and the only two women (myself and another) are advanced black belts. J. admitted the first class was intimidating, but she came back because she really liked the martial art and everyone was very welcoming to her. Egos aren't allowed at our school, so new students are always welcomed and the advanced students are often reminded that without new students, the school would stagnate. I really liked teaching orange belt to J. and she's a good student. She said she can't see why more women don't take martial arts.

**

For about 6 weeks I've suffered pain in my right shoulder. Last week I visited my doctor and began a month-long regimen of physical therapy and strong medication. I only hope the therapy helps. It seems that lifting the very large Branch along with a lifetime of poor posture has finally taken it's toll. Some days my shoulder doesn't bother me much. Other days it's a 5 or 6 on the 10 scale with occasional forays into the 7's and 8's.

**

8 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

Junebee, sorry to hear of all your troubles. I know what it's like to never have time with your husband. I hope the job issue works out well for you!

 
At 5:09 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

Sounds like things have been rough. Hope you figure out a way to make it all work. And get yourself feeling better too.

 
At 7:57 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Spider Walk said...

Junebee,
Things do ease up and get better. I can remember the long days of my kids early childhood. I found one of the best ways to fill all of that time was to get creative. We would pull all of the large steel mixing bowls out and flip them upside down and the kids would walk across the tops and pretend to be walking on rocks, then we would turn a few over and pull out the wooded spoons and make music on them. Another thing that was priceless in the summer was a small plastic pool out back. It was big enough to cool them off,--and convienient for quick "water play" sessons. They always loved their little turtle sandbox, and a bottle of bubbles could keep them entertained for an entire afternoon. When the mosquitos were really bad we just put up our mesh outdoor canopy and pulled the pool in there and I would sit in there with my iced tea and play along with them to cool off.

Another thing they loved to do (and still do to this day) is to build tents. Give Branch and Blossom a bunch of blankets, clear off the kitchen table and let em at it!

It's also very important that you and the Citizen make time for yourselves. You need to get out and have couple time. The more you stay connected, the better the kids will thrive.

Being a stay at home parent is one of the hardest things I have even done. I totally understand you wanting to return to work. After just returning to work part time after being home the last year in a half I find I am happier,and more relaxed when I am at home. Working at the clubhouse would be the perfect job! I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

 
At 6:14 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger chanchow said...

Hi Junebee. I'm sorry to hear things have been tough lately. Good luck with the transition back to work. Although I'm not a mother (just a newly married), I've talked to new moms and they run the gamut from being stay at home (one is a mother of three children, all under five years old) to a full-time job outside the home. They all talk about how hard it is to balance, how exhausted they are all the time and how there's almost no time left for their spouses or themselves. I wonder how I will manage if/when I have kids. Like most girls, I always imagined "having it all" would come naturally (what a joke). I don't even know what that means now. Hope you feel better. All the best.

 
At 12:33 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

Hi Junebee,

Glad u are back!!!!!!!! planning to send a search party for your MIA..lol..just kidding!
You have a tough job...juggling so many roles...as a mother not only to 2 lovely kids...plus one big one..the citizen!, as a wife,lover, confidante to your hubby, as a home-maker, as an instructor...etc
I can only hope the bests for u in whatever u choose to do...and making time for both of u is very very important...quality time...go for a movie whatever!
At least u must know...u have many friends here who care about u and your family. Your blog brings much joy of simple pleasures in everyday life to me. Thank you...and keep blogging...rest once in awhile if u must!

 
At 9:55 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Wendy said...

Wow. Sounds challenging. As the kids get older, some of the frustrations ease. But still, I understand! I work part time (during the school year, more than a little part time!) and it does help me put the home stuff in perspective better. I hope you find the right solution for you and yours....

 
At 5:24 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Zambo said...

Hi Junebee!

It's nice to see you're back.

Thanks for the update.

I hope things start to feel better soon.

I'm off to read your latest post...

Your Pal,

Zambo.

 
At 12:29 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Crystal said...

It's totally understandable to take a blog break, that's kinda the mode I've been running in all through July. I hope the sleep study will provide some insights on what to do about your insomnia, and good luck on hopping back into work! I'm ready to head back myself, and hopefully I'll have something lined up by Labor Day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home