Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I Got A Job!



I got a part-time job at the clubhouse here in the development!

The CDD manager often comes to the poolside to say hello to us and Branch and Blossom. She had mentioned there was a vacancy for part-time work in the clubhouse. I applied but then rescinded my application. See, I really like this lady, and I like living here in the development. I also like going to martial arts and the job would have cut into my martial arts time. Additionally, I am unsure of my child care situation next month after Nanny A. leaves. So with all those factors, I did not want to take the position, only to leave in a few weeks. I really like the CDD manager and I want to be able to look her in the eye when I see her, not have to slink away because I pooped out on a job she hired me for.

She came back with a counter-offer that I would work as her assistant for maybe 10 hours a week to start. She would be flexible with my hours due to child care, and I would not have to attend evening meetings that would cut into my martial arts time.

So, last night I appeared before the CDD board for approval for hiring. You all would have been proud of me. I wore the power color, red, and had my handy-dandy notepad folio with me. When the other candidate was asked to descibe herself, I quickly wrote notes on what I would say immediately after her. The other candidate was hired more for the clubhouse end - issuing pool keys, dealing with resident complaints, booking the clubhouse for resident private parties, etc. We were both offered the jobs on the spot. I THEN stayed on for more of the meeting, whereas the other woman left right after she found out she was hired. I thought I should show just a LITTLE interest in the meeting aside from the part that benefited me.

I'm so excited and ready to work again. On the downside, I went to inquire about day care for Branch and Blossom. The local place seems neat and clean enough, but the "class"room is tiny! It doesn't seem much bigger than one of my kid's bedrooms. They only get 30 minutes outdoor time in the morning and another 30 in the afternoon. They also get some time in the large central area for singing, computer work, etc. I just can't imagine them cooped up all day, as much as they love the outdoors. One of my neighbors takes his daughter there. I saw her this morning and she seemed down. She's nearly 3 years old. Perhaps she just didn't feel like being there this morning. I only want my kids to go there on a part-time basis.

I have decided that I really need to work. It's the German in me, I guess. I just wasn't happy being a stay-at-home parent. I realize everyone has a different opinion on this issue. However, I have come to the realization that if I am happier at a job still look out for my children's interests in the meantime, they will be happier also. I am not sure I could handle going back to a 40 hour week right away, so this job is the perfect middle ground. I also want to get back in the work force, and I've read that some places are reluctant to hire women who've been out of the work force a few years raising children. If I have a part-time job, I at least have one foot back in the workforce.

This job is perfect for me - it draws on my computer, accounting and bookkeeping skills, is a 5 minute walk from my house, and is just a few hours a week with the possibility for more. I was very excited last night. The Citizen said "You're like a little kid. Everyone has a job. Even N. (my 14 year old nephew) has a job." I said: "Yes, but I haven't had one for 20 months!"

I start Monday morning at 10 AM.

11 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger black feline said...

Congratulations! Just do it!...day by day..things will work out along the way...and B and B will be just fine!

 
At 11:46 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

Congrats!! It realyly sounds great. That is awesome that they will work so much with your hours. I agree from what you have talked about in the past, that you need to work. It may be work, but it will give you a break from B&B to concentrate on something else.

 
At 4:18 AM, August 17, 2006, Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

Hey Junebee, congrats! Well done on the job, it sounds ideal for your current situation.

Have a beer on me!

HMHB

 
At 9:18 AM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Spider Walk said...

I am so happy and proud of you Junebee. This new job sounds perfect for you in every way. It will be so good to get out into the "grown-up" world for a few hours every week.
I know it's going to be hard to leave the Branch and Blossom in the care of someone other than Nanna A, but I can assure you they will be just fine :)

Congrats!!
Go knock em dead...lol!!

 
At 1:12 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger chanchow said...

YEE HAW!!! Flexible hours, a short commute, co-workers you like. Sounds fantastic. Nicely done!

 
At 2:18 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Wendy said...

Congratulations! It does sound like a great set-up... I hope it's everything you hope it will be.

 
At 3:53 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Lin said...

Brava!!! Well done. A perfect solution to needing some grown-up, out-of-the-house time, slowing getting the little ones used to Mommy being away a bit more and no gas used in the commute! Perfect!

 
At 7:12 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Brandy said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you've found a part-time job that will work best for you right now, and you're so happy!

 
At 10:52 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger kazumi said...

Congratulations! I'm very excited for you. The position sounds perfect! Good luck on Monday xx

 
At 1:30 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Congrats on the new gig. What's this about a 5 minute walk to the J.O.B.? That's crazy talk!

 
At 5:18 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Zambo said...

Congratulations, Junebee!

Best of luck with the new job!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home